Just to be clear. this list is just about the pure strength of the following characters; it’s not factoring in other superpowers. So you won’t find Professor Xavier or the Phoenix type characters. No omega power sets.
This is also just my opinion on the matter. So if you disagree, feel free to let us know in the comments; I’m always interested in talking comics with you folks. Anyway, let’s jump right into it. Here’s my list of the 10 strongest Marvel and DC superheroes.
You might not think it, but Spider-Man is a whole lot stronger than most people realize. According to his origin, the spider that bit him was able to lift over ten times its own body weight. So when you convert that over to human size, it equals out to a great deal of power.
Not only has there been countless times where he’s accomplished amazing physical feats to save people, but he constantly has to hold back a lot of the time when it comes to facing his villains. Otherwise he’d cause them great physical harm. Which kinda goes against the whole being a superhero thing.
Here’s a rundown of some of his most notable feats of strength:
- Lifts a train car.
- Supporting and holding up the Daily Bugle building, then stabilizes it with his webbing.
- Frees himself from tons of metal and debris.
- Lifts cars easily.
- Rips a lamppost out from the ground, then smashes a police truck with it.
- Holds up then smashes a solid gold statue into pieces.
- Throws Wolverine out of an “unbreakable” window.
- Easily lifts a bus.
- Frees himself from a huge stone plug that took him and She-Hulk to lift before.
- Once again frees himself from under tons of debris.
- Supports a huge helicopter from falling.
- Lifts a small tank in the air and slams it to ground, and then he slams another tank to other one with his webbing.
- Lifts and carries two cars with just one hand web-slings with them and throws them through a window.
- Easily topples over a train car that Paladin was struggling with only a flick of his finger.
- Stops a speeding truck with his bare hands.
- Catches a car thrown at him by the Hulk without much problem.
- Lifts a huge amount of rubble.
- Rips apart Puma’s robot.
- Demolishes an entire building.
- Punches Iron Man through a wall.
- Rips apart Dr. Octopus’ titanium tentacles.
- dismantled two Sentinels.
9. Martian Manhunter
Martian Manhunter (J’onn J’onzz) could probably go toe-to-toe with Superman if need be. But he’s the kind of strong where he’d rather not even have a physical altercation and instead finds more of a civil way to take you out. But on more than one occasion when Superman’s not a part of the Justice League, Martian Manhunter is considered one of the big hitters.
Notable feat of strength:
In Martian Manhunter #7 he’s forced into a confrontation with the JLA by his evil brother Malefic, J’onn takes hits from Superman, Barda, Wonder Woman and Orion one after the other and not only does none of that even slow him down, he is able to combine his shape-shifting with his strength to manhandle Wonder Woman, Orion and Barda simultaneously as well as prevent Aquaman from being able to harm him before leaving to make sense of the whole situation.
Due to being part Atlantean, AquaMan’s bones and muscles are a lot more dense so he is able to survive the pressure of being in the deep ocean. This is like having the ultimate weight vest on. So whenever he’s on the surface world he’s one of the strongest beings on the planet.
A few notable feats of AquaMan’s strength:
In the New 52 he casually lifted a large cruise ship and in another instance he threw a cargo ship underwater. He’s also thrown submarines and lifted buildings over his head.
7. Captain America
After going through an experiment which turned Steve Rogers into a super soldier, he gained a whole slew of powers. Among those power is super strength. I don’t care who you are, if you can punch a giant hole through a wall or take a hit from the Hulk (especially when you’re still a human being) that takes some incredible strength.
Here are some notable feats of strength by Cap:
- Without the SSS (Super Soldier Serum), takes down a few SSS-induced goons using pure fighting skills, then takes down more after being restored with the SSS.
- Holds his own against the Hulk.
- Single-handedly takes out a group of Asgardian Trolls.
- Saves Tony Stark from a huge monster.
- Proves worthy of Mjolnir.
- States that he is adept in every form of H2H combat.
- Being trained to become Captain America before the SSS enhancement.
- Strength described as being preternatural.
- Lifts a tree.
- Tosses an anchor.
- Hauls a supply truck.
- Breaking steel chains.
- Almost outruns a group of large birds capable of running up to speeds of 50 miles per hour (while in the snow).
- Rips a statue out of its base while bound to it.
- Forces his shield through the doors and mashes it into the wall to stop the falling elevator he was trapped in.
- Rips the arm off of a robot.
- Closes hatch doors with his strength.
- Leaps a few stories up.
- Forces a steel door open while injured.
- Races across the room and beats the bullets to their target, blocking it with his shield.
- Catches a torpedo by throwing his shield to deflect the torpedo car upwards.
- Dodging multiple gunfire.
- Throws a huge block of concrete at a sniper posted on top of a building.
- Takes down Electro.
- Cable admits to Cap being faster and stronger.
- Dodges and weaves through bullets, lasers, and explosions.
- Simultaneously deflects bullets and dodging another bullet with a shield throw.
- Uses his shield to extinguish and then relights a lighter.
- Beats Black Panther.
- Knocks out Namor.
- Defeats Klaw.
- Defeats Thunderstrike.
- Defeats Spider-Man with Spidey running away.
- Can focus chi.
- Defeated Taskmaster.
- Defeats Lady DeathStrike.
- Stalemates T’Chaka (T’Challa’s, the modern Black Panther, father).
- Throws shield fast and accurate enough to catch up with a missile that held Falcon bound to it.
- Severs Red Skull’s arm with a shield throw.
- Sees faster than bullet speed.
- Shield throwing ricochet takes out an opponent.
- Takes out a military helicopter with great accuracy.
- Draws blood from the Hulk with a shield bash.
- Knocks Colossus off his feet.
- Explains to Nick Fury how he was able to defeat Lady Doctor Octopus and Hobogoblin when he was ambushed at his house.
- Holds his own against Wolverine.
- Shield is capable of withstanding a blast from Mjolnir.
- Uses mastery of pressure point strikes to incapacitate the Hulk.
- decapitated Baron Blood.
- Lands some blows on Nightmare.
- Holds his own against Carnage.
- Stuns Onslaught.
- KO’s the Rhino.
- And most famously known for…………….
- Goes H2H with a super-strong Kree.
6. Captain Marvel
Or as he’s now known as, Shazam, gets his powers in quite a different way than most folks. He got his powers from magic; they were granted to him by a magical wizard. Among those powers are his super strength that puts him on par with Superman—even giving him the upper hand on Supes because magic is one of Superman’s few weaknesses.
Here are some of Shazam’s notable feats of strength:
- Flies and catches a ship thrown by Superman possessed by Eclipso, whom was trying to kill the civilians on board.
- Arm-wrestles Superman to a stalemate.
- Holds his own against Superman, Jay Garrick, and Alan Scott.
- Fights and defeats Black Adam by removing his Power Scarab.
- Claims to move at the speed of lightning.
- Catches the Flash (Barry Allen).
- Him and Superman making their way back to Earth flying very fast.
- Saves Superman by speed-blitzing Bizarro, Solomon Grundy, Parasite, and Metallo.
- Prevented Black Adam from changing into his powered state by changing his “magic word”.
- Resists being possessed by the Spear of Destiny and uses it on the Spectre.
- Throws Dr. Fate’s helmet into outer space.
- As Lord Marvel, resurrects a lifeless Katana.
- Claimed by Mr. Terrific that Marvel and Hawkman are the best two people to bring Superman in.
- Changes the Earth’s weather patterns by flying across it to spell out a message.
- Travels faster than the speed of light.
- Powers of SHAZAM (used by Freddy Freeman with the help of Zatanna) to temporarily depower 10,000 Kryptonians in an instant. (It’s safe to say that Billy Batson can do this also).
- Defeats Black Adam again.
- Lifts and pushes an aircraft with one arm.
- Flies around fast enough to create a tornado to dissipate a gas bomb.
5. The Thing
The ever-lovin’ blue-eyed Thing is perhaps one of the biggest hitters in all of the Marvel Universe. He’s known for having legendary brawls with the Hulk. He’s even been able to get a few wins out of the many times they’ve faced off. And beating the Hulk is damn near impossible.
Notable feat of strength:
Beating the f#%king Hulk!
The Hulk is a ridiculous freak of nature (or science if you will) who can only be stopped by a select few. As he gets angrier he gets stronger. And I don’t know about you, but to me that would be an unlimited amount of strength at my disposal.
Here’s some notable feats of strength by the Hulk:
- Stopped the Juggernaut while in motion (while his power was amped by apocalypse, Hulk #457)
- Fought an entire roster of the X-Men by himself as World War Hulk.
- Fought Sentry to a standstill. (Sentry has the power of a million exploding suns).
- Held together a tectonic plate, or 4 quintillion tons [Incredible Hulk vol.2 #102]
- Destroys the asteroid (twice the size of Earth) with the help of a jetpack [Marvel Comics Presents # 52]
- The Immovable Blob is unbelievably struck backwards by the Hulk’s punch [Marvel Fanfare #7]
- Literally punches through a time storm (one that even Kang’s time machine cannot penetrate) and rends apart the space-time continuum enough for Kang to travel through [Incredible Hulk #135]
- Ares’ spear breaks against Savage Hulk’s hide [Hulk Vs Hercules: When Titans Collide #1]
- Hawkeye’s arrows cannot pierce Savage Hulk’s eyeballs [Avengers vol.3 #75]
- survived being blasted by Galactus [Secret Wars #9]
- Cracks Onslaught’s armor
- Shook the multiverse after colliding with an amped Iron Clad
- Destroyed a universe by fighting Dark-Crawler
- Lifted the weight of a star while being tortured
3. Wonder Woman
The warrior princess is not only the strongest female character but perhaps one of the strongest superheroes in comics. She’s gone up against God and is still standing. Wonder Woman has definitely earned her spot as one of the strongest superheroes of all time.
Notable feats of strength:
- Even as a little girl she lifts a Greek Temple of sorts with ease
- One of the strongest heroes on the planet
- Year One Wonder Woman holds back a force that causes the whole world to shake, seismographs all across the world were measuring tremors which caused the pens to bounce off the charts. Largest earthquake recorded on the scale was a 9.5 in Chile May 22, 1960. Think this but worse and global.
- Ares Buchanan (avatar of Ares) believes one should restrain her with the same chains as one would use for superman.
- Tosses the Philospher’s Stone at FTL speeds
- During the Trinity event, Superman and Wonder Woman fought again, their punches rocked the heavens and the earth. This is before they were using the Creation Energies
- She winded Konvict in one punch (she was also weakened at this said moment by a charm placed on her by Morghaine le Fey, he has tanked punches that would shatter planets in his base form.
- Overpowers Hercules, Hercules is as strong as Captain Marvel (give or take).
- She is stronger and fiercer than Hercules
- Pulls the Martian Manhunter out of a black hole
- Says she has never found an upper limit to her strength
- Lifting the Spectre, he weighs as much as eternity, another way of saying infinity.
- Breaks Chronus’ Scepter, which was powerful enough to hold the Godwave, the energy wave which would destroy the universe. Good thing they were in Heaven at this moment. A small portion of the godwave caused destruction on a universal scale. So Chronus’ scepter would need to be many times more durable than a planet to contain the godwave.
- Deflects the full might of Olympus (supposed infinite power), holds her ground against it as well. Basically pushing back against infinity.
- Could punch you all the way to Pluto using only a tenth of her strength
- She strikes the first blow that hurts Rao, and then she and Alan Scott knock him back
- Punches Sun-Drenched Batman to the moon from low earth orbit, also note that he couldn’t see her coming. Kryptonian Batman couldn’t see her coming… like this quite remarkable since Jeph Loeb (writer of comic) wanks Kryptonians so hard.
- Breaks Grendel’s neck
The god of thunder is probably one of the strongest beings in all the nine realms. Even without his trusted hammer he’s been known to best most who have challenged him.
Notable feats of strength:
- Thor arm-wrestles Hercules to a draw, causing the area to collapse and shifting the planet out of orbit.
- In probably his most famous strength feat, Thor lifts the Midgard Serpent, which is said to be half or just as heavy as the planet Earth itself.
- Resists the gravimetic pressure equal to the weight of a neutron star.
- Pushes the WorldEngine in order to reserve Yggdrasil the World Tree.
- Accidentally knocks out Namor (while fighting in the rain) while holding back.
- Struck a hole in Exitar the Exterminator’s (a Celestial) armor. The force of the blow was felt thoughout the entire planet.
- Carves out an uru hammer with his fingers.
- Frees his half-brother Vidar by effortlessly breaking chains that are made to withstand the strength of 10 giants.
- Destroys an alien tank and, from it, molds tons of metal into a makeshift hammer.
- Breaks free from an Olympian metal harness.
- Closes a chasm of “a million tons of earth” over Loki.
- Effortlessly snaps out of adamantium alloy cables.
- Crushes the Silver Surfer’s force-field (amped by Loki’s magic) that kept him away from Mjolnir.
- Again, Thor destroy another one of Silver Surfer’s force-fields with one strike.
- Thor’s punches, that when combined with another of equal strength, are capable of closing dimensional rifts.
- Knocked out Abomination with a single blow.
- Thor’s and Beta Ray Bill’s colliding punch leveled the surrounding countryside.
- Matches a Savage Hulk’s strength for an entire hour in a power struggle.
Now he hasn’t always been the strongest. But throughout the years he definitely has evolved into the strongest superhero in comics to date. Even against other Kryptonians he eventually ends up defeating them—even though theoretically, they should be evenly matched.
Notable feats of strength:
- He Broke Batman’s Back! This Isn’t that impressive, but not a lot of people can do this.
- He ripped Doomsday in Half.
- He moved the whole Earth.
- He lifted 200 quintillion tons.
- He bench pressed the weight of the Earth for five days in a row.
- He carried an entire Galaxy.
- He carried Eternity.
- He carried Infinity. Infinity is more than eternity. Infinity is time, space and quantity while eternity is infinite time.
Well, that’s it. What do you think of the list? Feel like some other well-known superheroes should be on this list instead? Let me know in the comments. And if you’re interested in some comic book talk, be sure to browse through the DPW Podcast feed. We have quite a few comic book themed episodes.
A Murakami Minute: The Elephant Vanishes Part 2 – Drunken Pen Writing Podcast
Like the article? Share it. Then check out these other great comic pieces.