Please read entire post before submitting
Hello, fine readers of DPW. Since we had such a great Halloween submission period this year, we decided to get the ball rolling early and have a winter one, too!
Now, we’re usually slow during the holidays. Most of our readers are too busy with things like NaNoWriMo, Thanksgiving, and all the madness that the month of December brings to check out what we’re up to. So we decided to forgo a holiday open submission period and have a winter one instead.
Starting January 1st to February 1st, when our readership typically picks back up, we are having open submissions for winter themed pieces. What is a winter themed piece? Easy! Anything having to do with winter time. Check the guidelines below.
ALL WORK MUST HAVE A WINTER THEME
- Short Stories under 5,000 words. Please don’t send us anything over 5,000 because we simply do not have the time to read it. Our apologies.
- Flash Fiction under 1,000 words.
- Up to three poems (poems can be up to 80 lines each).
- Even if you’ve been published by DPW in the past, you can still submit.
We do not accept:
- Previously published work.
- Multiple submissions.
- Erotic fiction.
- Anything with excess gore or violence.
- Submissions written in the body of an email.
How to submit:
- You can submit by emailing us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All submissions MUST BE in the form of a word doc (Docx) or pdf.
- All submissions MUST HAVE “Winter Submission” as the subject of the email.
- In the body of the email please add a cover letter with your name, pen name (if applicable), synopsis of your submission, word count, and a little bit about yourself.
- For poems, follow the same guidelines as above but give the number of lines instead of a word count.
- As we only have limited staff, please choose just one of the three categories (poem, short story, flash fiction) to submit. If you want to submit more than one thing, let us know in the email of your initial submission. There’s a good chance if we accept your work, we’ll want to read more from you.
For those who don’t follow us, we do not pay for work. As of now we are still a nonprofit organization (we don’t have ads or make any money from the site or from the work of others). We provide a place where you can showcase your work, which has helped many past featured writers grow their audience.
This isn’t a contest so there are no winners or losers. If we like your work, we’ll publish it and give the author the best chance to have their work read by a large audience. We usually do interviews with our featured writers, and as long as the amount of submissions are reasonable, we’ll do the same with the authors whose work we accept.
If we get too overloaded with great submissions and can’t do the interviews (which happened this past Halloween), we’ll still feature the author’s bio and all links to social media accounts, as well as any other places the author’s writing can be found. Our goal is to help up-an-coming writers find a professional platform where their work can be featured.
We can’t wait to see what awesome stuff you folks come up with!
Caleb James K.